Windows® Performance Toolkit (Xperf) is a command-line tool used for monitoring to produce in-depth performance profiles of Windows operating systems and applications. These logs help the Malwarebytes Support team investigate performance issues with Windows devices.
Create an Xperf log
To run the Xperf command-line tool, install the SDK available on Microsoft's support site:
Note: During installation, select Windows Performance Toolkit as this feature includes Windows Performance Recorder, Windows Performance Analyzer, and Xperf.
After installing the SDK, follow these steps:
- On the Windows endpoint, open Windows command line (CMD) with administrative privileges.
- Run the following command. You may need to modify the location if the install path was changed:
- cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit
- Run the following command:
- xperf -on base+latency -stackwalk profile
- After running the command, reproduce the error. Note the time when the issue occurs while capturing the event.
- To stop logging and save the log file on the desktop, run the following command:
- xperf –d %userprofile%\Desktop\xperf_logs.etl
- Upload the xperf_logs.etl file using the file upload link provided by your Support agent, then respond to your support ticket email.